13 Responses

1. […] Note: This post originally appeared on Pink Pangea. […]

2. Connie at |

Hey Matt, just regarding your concern over the cave pictures:
    The photo of her swimming is in the grotto bay caves, while the header is a picture of the Crystal Cave, which is considered ‘more visual’. Both are in Bermuda – I live there! Bermuda has many different cave structures all over the island (and if you’re an avid diver, I believe we have some cave dive tours as well, though certain qualifications will be required).

3. Paul Bugel at |

I’ll be there in May once again. I cannot wait to go to the Swizzle Inn once again.

1. Julianne Kanter
      Julianne Kanter at |

Hi Paul, enjoy your trip! Swizzle Inn, Swagger Out!

4. Vanessa at |

The Fairmont Southampton is currently offering afternoon tea in their Jasmine Lounge in lieu of afternoon tea at Hamilton Princess.

I live in Bermuda and didn’t know the specifics about the glow worms so thank you 🙂

1. Julianne Kanter
      Julianne Kanter at |

Hi Vanessa, thanks for sharing about the Fairmont Southampton! That’s great advice, and I know our readers will appreciate it. Hope you get a chance to see the glow worms; they are spectacular!

5. Matt at |

Hey Julianne, you make some great suggestions!
    I had one concern, your header photo of a cave is not a Bermudian cave 🙁
    Comparing the first photo of a cave to your second photo swimming in a cave illustrates the geological difference in cave structure… It would be awesome if you could make it a Bermudian cave. Otherwise, great stuff!

1. Connie at |

Oops, I meant to reply to your comment, but just posted another comment by accident. The header photo is of Crystal Cave in Bermuda, while the photo with Julianne swimming is the Grotto Bay Cave. I’ve been to both – I live there! Bermuda is very unique and has many different kinds of caves structures all over the island 🙂

2. Julianne Kanter
      Julianne Kanter at |

Hi Matt, good catch! We have updated the cover photo as of this morning. Connie is correct that it is now a Bermudian cave. Thanks to both of you for your sharp eyes!

6. Alex at |

If you do go in the caves please treat them with the utmost respect. They are very fragile and take a very long time to recover from any damage.

Also, there’s another secret. The Glow Worms are out year-round… you just have to be willing to brave some cooler temperatures. We saw them in March two years ago by sheer luck. Just happened to be coming home by boat one night and they were all around us.

1. Julianne Kanter
      Julianne Kanter at |

Hi Alex, thanks for your tips! You are absolutely right; caves take millions of years to be created, but can be trashed in one afternoon. Preservation is extremely important. One resource I came across is the National Speleological Society (http://caves.org/About_the_NSS.shtml). If you know of other resources, please feel free to share!

7. Julianne Kanter
    Julianne Kanter at |

Elen – you should definitely go! Flight time from NYC is only about two hours. We can plan a Pink Pangea reunion there… 🙂

8. Elen at |

This is great, Julianne! I didn’t know much about Bermuda, except that my mum went there when she was young because her brother lived there temporarily, too. Will have to keep it in mind for the future 🙂